As long as you chose not to be clear, specific and deliberate about issues and situations you will continue to make unhealthy generalization based on limited information and wrong assumptions.
The sad part of generalization is that many times what we generalize is hardly ever true. Have you ever heard someone make hasty generalization? You wonder why on earth they think the way they do.
A generalization is a broad statement or an idea that applies to a group of people or things. Oftentimes, generalizations are not entirely true, because there may be examples of individuals or situations wherein the generalization does not apply.
Taking something specific and applying it more broadly is making a generalization.
I often wonder why the whole world is so prone to generalise. Generalisations are seldom if ever true and are usually utterly inaccurate. In psychology, it is the tendency to respond in the same way to different but similar stimuli.
Three reasons why most people fall into generalization
1. The Brain: The default program of your brain is to distort, delete and generalize. Hence many times you are quick to just lump up information and pass same conclusion. Case in point ‘’all men are scum’’.
2. It Is Easy To Do: Thinking is hard work that’s why few people think. Most people will rather do the easy thing than do the hard things. If you do what is easy your life will be hard and if you do what is hard your life will easy. Case in point ‘’all white are racist’’
3. Assumption: Very few people will seek clarification rather than conclude based on assumption. Assumption is the lowest level of knowledge and they that use it are unwise. Case in point ‘’all Nigerians are corrupt’’
The story we chose to tell ourselves strengthen our belief for generalization.
You can chose not to practice generalization anymore from today. If you aren’t clear about anything seek clarification instead of using generalization based on assumption.
Have you heard people say, how can I pay so much for a training (online or offline)? That’s generalization speaking with megaphone.
To cure yourself of this illness of generalization will require you to do the following:
1. Focus – keep your focus on the main thing being the main thing.
2. Meaning – give empowering meaning to situations and challenges.
3. Clarity – possibilities merges when you gain sufficient clarity.
Nothing breeds generalization like assumptions and nothing kills generalization like clarification.